Friday, April 6, 2018

                                                        Power of Resourcefulness: Jennifer Witterick

  In the following video, we learned how to be resourceful. Jennifer Witterick talked about an experiment about baby chicks. She stated that one group of baby chicks they helped them open their shells so that they can be brought into this world. On the other hand, the other baby chicks had to fight their way out of their shell. During this experiment they realized that the chicks that helped themselves lived longer and stronger, opposed to the helped chicks.
   Witterick shared some of her life experiences as well. She talked a little about the struggles she endured growing up. She was an immigrant from Taiwan, she went to Canada with little to nothing in her families pocket. They made the best of what they could. Along with this, she was not fluent in speaking English. So this was a disadvantage in school. But this did not faze her, she read the dictionary to help expand her vocabulary. Since she did this she became very smart and graduated at the top of her class, and attended to a very good school. She now works in business and is a published author around the world. With little to no knowledge of the literary world. All of this would not be possible if she was not resourceful.
  In a way, I can relate to the personal story Jennifer Witterick shared. When I was younger I had an issue with my reading skills and grammar skills. I could not pronounce certain words and I did not understand what they meant. To solve this my parents made me read consistently growing up. I read books way beyond the level of my age. When I was in elementary school my father made me read the dictionary and the Encylopedia Britannica set that he had. Every night I would sit down at the kitchen table after I did my homework and read a couple pages. By doing this I expanded my knowledge and vocabulary at the same time. I have taken every honor and AP English class since 6th grade. If I was not resourceful I would not be able to take those rigorous classes that I am now. I would not be able to get the chance to attend and be accepted by various colleges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

                                                          Class Evaluation 1.   Some things that I liked about this class is the way I an...